Course English Composition II
Institution Grand Canyon University
Pages 1
File Size 63.9 KB
File Type PDF
Total Downloads 2
Total Views 161

Summary

Discussion Question Answer- 4 part question with detail and sources....

Description

What is the expressed argument you identified? What specific argument does the author make? What evidence does the author use to support his or her claims?

The argument I considered to be an expressed or overt argument is from CNN. CNN reported an issue where Dr. Jerome Adams stated to “stop buying masks” (Asmelash, 2020). Dr. Adams believes that if the general public continues to buy face masks it will result in healthcare workers not having any (Asmelash, 2020). Dr. Jerome Adams continues to say in the report that staying home and washing hands is the best protection. Dr. Adams uses the support from the other CDC (Centers for Disease Control) regulations to prevent the spread of Covid-19. 

What is the implied argument you identified? What specific argument does the author make? What evidence does the author use to support his or her claims?

The implied argument that I decided to go with is the example of bumper stickers. The argument that bumpers stickers can make is that they are showing how the person driving the car feels about a certain topic. Bumper stickers can be fun but sometimes others behind you take offense to it or some may look up the meaning of it and become intrigued. Even according to IvyPanda, most times the driver expects reactions from others around them which can lead to persuasion (2019). 

Why is it important to understand expressed and implied arguments?

Just like any other words you must know the difference between the two. An implied argument stance is to simply entertain and/or inform without bias (Smith,2015). While on the other hand Overt (Expressed) Arguments wants to persuade the audience to a certain point of view with a direct approach that has evidence (Smith,2015).Their purpose may seem simply to entertain or inform without bias. By knowing the difference between these two words you can get someone to come to your side of the bargain. 

How might you use your understanding of expressed and implied arguments when drafting your first essay in this course?

I will use the understanding of expressed and implied arguments within my upcoming essay by using the insight to choose what direction I would like my paper to go. I would like to persuade the audience to see what my meaning of something is so they can believe in the stance as well. References Asmelash, L. (2020, March 2). The surgeon general wants Americans to stop buying face masks. CNN. https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/29/health/face-masks-coronavirus-surgeon-general-trnd/ IvyPanda. (2019, January 12). The evaluation of the argument from a bumper sticker. https://ivypanda.com/essays/the-evaluation-of-the-argument-from-a-bumper-sticker/ Smith, V. (2015). Argument. In Grand Canyon University (Ed.) Finding purpose through argumentative writing. Available from http://lc.gcumedia.com/eng106/finding-purpose-through-argumentativewriting/v1.1/#/chapter/1...

Similar Free PDFs